Other Programs and Resources

As federal unemployment benefits end, the following programs are available to help North Carolinians who qualify with rent, utilities, food, health care or other needs.

Do you need help finding a job? 

NCWorks Career Centers offer a wide variety of services to help individuals at every step of the job search journey, all of which are free of charge. Visit NCWorks.gov or call 1-855-NCWORKS or 1-855-629-6757 to find an NCWorks Career Center in your community or to access virtual services.

Do you need help with rent, mortgage or utilities?

Do you need food assistance?

Food and Nutrition Services (Food Stamps) provides eligible families and individuals the food they need for a nutritionally adequate diet. Benefits are issued via Electronic Benefit Transfer cards. Users may use the ebtEdge Mobile app to check balances and locate stores that accept benefits. For more information, contact your local Department of Social Services or apply online at https://epass.nc.gov.

Do you need help with health care or mental health?

  • Medicaid provides access to physical and behavioral health services to improve health and well-being for North Carolinians. Services include but are not limited to physical, behavioral health, and substance use services, pharmacy benefits, and services and supports for people with chronic and long term health care needs. The NC Medicaid Beneficiary Portal offers information on eligibility and applying for Medicaid. For more information, contact your local Department of Social Services or apply online at https://epass.nc.gov.
  • Rural Health Centers, located in rural communities of North Carolina, offer basic health care to all residents, regardless of your ability to pay. Call the Rural Health Center in your area to schedule an appointment.
  • The Medication Assistance Program (MAP) provides assistance to low-income, uninsured patients who need access to prescription drugs and cannot afford them. MAP is available at participating health center sites around the state, such as free and charitable health clinics, and rural and community health centers.
  • The Hope4NC Helpline is a free, confidential mental health resource available statewide. Individuals can call or text ‘hope’ to 1-855-587-3463 24 hours a day, seven days a week 
  • to access emotional support, counseling referrals and community resources. A live person will always answer, no matter when help is needed.

Do you need help with child care or child support?

Other Assistance

  • North Carolina’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, called Work First, provides parents (and some situations where children reside in the care of relatives) with short-term training and other services to help them become employed and moving toward self-sufficiency. For more information, contact your local Department of Social Services
  • Community Services Block Grants offer support to individuals who are currently at or below 100% of the federal poverty level to meet employment, housing and crisis prevention needs. Contact the Community Action Agency in your area for information on how to apply.
  • The federal Child Tax Credit provides eligible families with children payments of $3,000 per child 6-17 years old and $3,600 per child under 6 years old. Most families don’t have to do anything to receive this payment. But people who don’t normally file tax returns, which often include people experiencing homelessness, must register to claim their payments. The IRS created the Non-Filer Sign-Up Tool as a free and easy way to help people in this situation. The IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program may be available to provide additional assistance.
  • NC 211 You can dial 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162 to connect with an NC 211 Call Specialist. Call Specialists are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and the call is free and confidential. Multi-lingual service is available. Call Specialists have access to a database of community based resources and can provide details about available resources in your area. This database is also available online at nc211.org